Šumava Historical information

Most Historical Accommodation

The necessity of processing wood in the border forests led to the fact that in 1799 Prince Schwarzenberg gave permission for 48 timber families to build their houses in what was then called Schöne Ebene - Nice View. In the years 1800 - 1801, a new village was built. The new settlement was given the name Fürstenhut, which only later, in 1877, appeared in the Czech form Prince's Plan.

An old folk tale states the origin of the local name somewhat differently. In it, it is said that at the time of the foundation of the village, Prince Schwarzenberg himself visited this place, but a strong wind blew away his hat, which was left hanging on a tall fir tree. One of the local woodcutters quickly climbed a tree from which he removed the hat and handed it to the prince with the words: "Here is your hat!"

The prince thanked him for his performance and declared that the new village should be named the Prince's Hat - Füstenhut in German in memory of this event. The oldest written report on the number of houses and inhabitants was preserved from 1840, when there were already 59 houses in which a total of 521 lived persons. At that time, there was a hunting lodge, a forest preserve, a mill, a sawmill, a school, a municipal office, four inns and a border guard post.

In 1861, the foundation stone of the new stone church was laid, which was ceremonially consecrated on January 27, 1864 with the participation of the general public. In 1865, a separate parish was established in Knížec Plány, at that time 725 people lived there in 60 houses. In later years, there was an increase in the number of houses, but the number of inhabitants had a decreasing tendency.

Administratively, in 1850 the village was annexed to the administration of the municipality of Kunžvart (now Strážný) and only in 1902 was a separate municipal office established here. The post office was opened in 1913. In 1930, a total of 458 people lived in the village. The majority of the population was of German nationality, only 8 people were of Czech nationality. After the end of the Second World War, a significant part of the local population fled to Germany in the post-war period, so only 58 people left due to proper deportation.

As recently as 1957, 53 people lived here, but the creation of a prohibited border zone caused the definitive demise of the village. The church was blown up in 1956. None of the earlier houses of the Knížecí pláne village have survived to the present day. At the place where Knížecí Pláně - Hájenka now stands, there used to be a game house, which you can see in the photo from 1902.